ICT delivery assurance
The Business Perspective
Once you’ve gone through the commercial process to select the most
appropriate vendor or integrator and solution, you need to deliver it
successfully into the live environment without disruption, ensuring all of
the envisaged efficiency gains and new services are achieved.
Some of the questions you’ll need to answer at this point include:
• How do you engage with suppliers effectively?
• What type and level of planning, governance and management needs
to be in place?
• Do you have the right level of technical expertise in house to resolve all
of the technical issues?
• How will you test and trial the solution sufficiently before going live?
• What’s the best way to transition to live operation?
We have helped clients to plan and deliver a range of new ICT applications and infrastructure smoothly into the operational environment.
The ICT delivery assurance activities we typically lead and undertake include:
ICT delivery assurance
• Delivery planning
• Supplier management
• Programme and project management
• Delivery stage gate management
• PMO set up and operation
• Technical Design Authority
• Testing strategy and test management
• Service transition management
• Service and system health checks
We have in-depth experience of a wide range of technology areas across the different tiers of ICT, including:
• ERP solutions including Accounting, Procurement, HR, CRM and Corporate Performance
• Collaboration and Content Managements systems, including the Atlassian suite of Confluence, Trello and Jira
• Distributed computing architectures from classic n-tier, through REST/HATEOAS to Hadoop
• Monitoring and SIEM solutions
• Hosting options including on-premise, co-location and IaaS, PaaS and SaaS cloud hosting
Our involvement in ICT strategy, solution specification, delivery assurance and implementation review gives us an informed view of the full-life cycle of ICT transformation projects using different technologies.
A selection of our relevant assignments is shown below.
National Employment Savings Trust – Employer On-Boarding Service
We developed and managed the delivery of test support services to help large employers test their systems prior to joining NEST's pension schemes. Our responsibilities included:
• Developing a simple on-boarding test strategy/plan for prospective employers
• Managing employer test support work stream and resources
• Developing test policies, processes and supporting documentation
• Leading awareness sessions to inform employers about test support services
Defra – England Rural Development Programme Technical Authority
We performed the role of client Technical Authority for the transition of an administration system from its existing infrastructure to a new infrastructure, based at a new data centre. The transition involved a major re-design of the solution architecture in several areas, including moving 100+ presentation and mid-tier components to a virtualised infrastructure.
Department for Transport – Case Management and Correspondence Handling
DfT’s case management and correspondence handling solution was becoming obsolete and relied largely on paper-based processes. We led a project to adopt a new solution which involved the transition of the system into live operation with 2000 users and the associated the business change.
Construction Company – Technology Delivery PMO
We were responsible for implementing effective programme governance and controls for the technology work stream that was supporting a major change programme. We managed the Delivery PMO for the first and second ERP system implementations into an operating company. We managed the applications and technology budgeting activities for each release. We established the:
• Development Framework for programme deliveries
• Stage Gate process and templates
• Documentation review and approval process
• Release cost forecasting and tracking process
Home Office – Border Force Transformation Programme
We set up and established a ‘one-man PMO’ for the operational aspects of the Border Force Transformation (Heathrow) Programme. Our activities included standardisation of the ways of working, project and programme level planning and RAID, resource and information management, programme governance facilitation, reporting and cross programme alignment.
Defra – Portfolio Management and Flexible Staff Resourcing
We prepared the business case and managed the phased implementation of a bespoke SharePoint and Business Objects application to provide resourcing and management information and to support the introduction of new ways of working.
© Copyright Medley 2018